BryoTechnology: Scalable production of biopharmaceuticals in moss
BryoTechnology is a next-generation manufacturing technology for biopharmaceuticals. Exploiting the unique advantages of the moss Physcomitrella patens, this new proprietary plant system enables the production of a wide range of biopharmaceuticals.
Key attributes of BryoTechnology
- outstanding product quality, especially regarding posttranslational modifications
- batch-to-batch stability
- excellent safety profile
- virus- and TSE-free production in customizable strains, e.g. for glycoengeneering and antibody drug conjugates
Greenovation established a cGMP-compliant production process that is comparable to established production strategies. Moss-based biopharmaceutical production is safe from a regulatory viewpoint and allows for straightforward technology transfer and scale adaption.
Production in moss
Greenovation makes use of moss for production of biopharmaceutical in photo-bioreactors. Like any plant, moss is able to use light as a sole source of energy. Being a higher eukaryote, the moss Physcomitrella possesses the enzymatic machinery to carry out complex posttranslational modifications like glycosylations. These moss enzymes, including e. g. chaperones and glycosyl-transferases are lined up along the secretory pathway, which is the standard route used for recombinant protein production by BryoTechnology.
Moss N-glycans are free of core a-1,6-fucose, which drastically increases the efficacy of IgG-products. This effect is due to increased CD16-binding and has great potential e. g. in oncological applications. Genome modification of moss producer strains can be applied straight forward and effectively in Physcomitrella: its efficient homologous recombination together with full genomic information and the haploid nature of the moss enable us to develop producer systems that can deliver a wide range of customized products.
The GMP-compliant production system BryoTechnology from Geenovation offers several regulatory benefits:
- Relief from virus testing and absence of animal-derived compounds throughout the whole biopharmaceutical process
- Compound production in certified disposable wave bioreactors™ circumvents costly cleaning and validation procedures
- Cell banking system to assure batch-to-batch consistency
- Proven genetic stability of strains to deliver constant clone performance